Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Noir Cat 2: The Screams of the City (4/21/15)

Welcome to Noir Week on My Slow Mo Cat! This week, we have one story told in six parts with accompanying Slow Mo Videos, of course. This is Emily's account of a recent investigation she took part in.

Part 1: Trouble in the Night

Part 2: The Screams of the City

This city's secrets smolder in its sewers, festering there like putrid outlaws. Looking out the window I saw streets slick with rain, lights glancing off of the pavement. A dog was howling in the distance. I looked this way and that for the screamer. All along the street dark doorways lined the brick buildings and a pulsating neon sign cast an eerie glow at the far end of the block.

Just as I was about to turn away, two men in dark raincoats came running from one of the doorways. They wore hats, and I could hear the click click of their shoes as they hurried away. Their shadows chased them as they ran. Before they turned onto one of the side streets, I caught a glimpse of the taller one's face. It was lined and ragged with a scar extending from the corner of his left eye almost all the way to the bottom of his chin. His lip was curled in a perpetual snarl that exposed several of his teeth. They looked yellow, but I couldn't tell if that was the streetlight's doing or his.

A few seconds after they turned the corner, I heard the clunk clunk ROAR of a car engine starting and the screech of tires on slick pavement. Another decision to make. Should I turn from the window and go back to bed, or venture out into the night? Suddenly, more movement. From the doorway, a woman came staggering. She wore only a white nightgown. As she stumbled into the light I could see there was blood on it and it had been ripped in several places. She came to the light post, clutched at it weakly, and then, shuddering and gasping, sank to the ground.

I turned from the window quickly and dialed the police. They have been good about taking my calls since I got my license. Though I've mostly been just south of strictly law abiding, I've given them a few tips that have paid off. Officer Jankowitz was on duty and he said a car would be on its way soon. He advised me to stay put, but I knew as soon as I put down the receiver, I'd be out the door. Even before I put down the phone, I could hear a siren. There must have been a car on duty nearby. The keening screech grew louder and louder. The lights flashed through my windows and across the walls as I turned to leave. Racing out the door I saw Detective Bradford and another man I didn't know standing by the lamppost. I raced over as fast as I could.  There was nothing. The woman was gone. Detective Bradford and the other man turned to look at me. Detective Bradford said, ...

To be continued...

Emily ponders the case:


No comments:

Post a Comment