Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Noir Cat 3: Shadows in the Dark (4/22/15)

Welcome to Noir Week on My Slow Mo Cat! This week, we have one story told in six parts with accompanying Slow Mo Videos, of course. This is Emily's account of a recent investigation she took part in.

Part 1: Trouble in the Night
Part 2: The Screams of the City

Part 3: Shadows in the Dark
Continued...

Detective Bradford turned to me and said, "What gives?"

I looked up and down the street before answering. If there was any trace of the woman, I wanted to show him. It had taken Bradford, and the rest of the police for that matter, awhile to get used to the idea of a cat detective. They got they started warming up to me after when I helped solve the Lattimore Jewel heist. I didn't want to take any chances.

"She was right here." I shot back. I didn't blink.

"Well, what do you figure, she just up and vanished?" Bradford had a tone in his voice I didn't like. Sarcastic. Teasing.

"Look, all I know is she was here last I knew." I was done with his attitude.

Bradford turned away from me and looked at the man with him they both glanced at the ground. After a cursory look at the lamppost, Bradford looked back around. "I don't think you'd yank our chain on purpose, but are you sure you saw something? There's no marks out here, nothing to show anyone has been here recently. Maybe in the dark you didn't see?"

"I'm a cat." I said. I kept my voice level and my eyes fixed on Bradford. "I know what I saw, dark or otherwise."

With that I turned and made my way up the street in the direction the men in raincoats had run. "Hey! Come back here. We need a statement." Bradford was yelling now. Always so quick to yell. I just keep walking. Let him stretch his legs a little if he wanted to get anything out of me. God knows he needs the exercise.

As I turned the corner a gleam in the gutter caught my eye. I looked over and there shining was...

To be continued....

Emily continues to ponder the case:


No comments:

Post a Comment