Friday, April 24, 2015

Noir Cat 5: The Dark Night, and the Cold Ground (4/24/15)

Welcome to Noir Week on My Slow Mo Cat! We are taking a break from the usual Fast Friday posting to finish up our extended report on Emily's investigation. This week, we have one story told in six parts with accompanying Slow Mo Videos, of course. This is the fifth part of Emily's account of a recent investigation she took part in.

Part 1: Trouble in the Night
Part 2: The Screams of the City
Part 3: Shadows in the Dark
Part 4: Gleam in the Gutter

Part 5: The Dark Night, and the Cold Ground
Continued...

I grabbed the cufflink and headed for the window. As I leapt out, I heard the door splinter and a man's grunt. I turned around just in time to see the same man with the scarred face who I had glimpsed from afar earlier. I didn't pause to try and see any more of the man, or get a look at his companion. I was out the window, down the fire escape and off across the street before either man had fully entered my apartment.

I didn't even know what time it was. The moon was out and there were still stars in the sky. It had to be late. It felt like I'd been trying to get to sleep for hours. I looked up and saw the clock face over Curt's Deli. Just after 2. I knew I had to keep moving. There was one place I could go, no matter the hour.

After 10 minutes of running, I was out of breath, and in front of a familiar black wood door. The iron 10 in the center of the door was put there only a year or so ago. It was already rusted. I pawed with my claws lightly extended at the bottom of the door. It was the closest I could get to knocking. I hadn't seen either of the men chasing me, but I wanted to get in as fast as I could. During my run, clouds had covered the moon and most of the stars making the night darker than ever before. The streetlights fought as best they could, but there was only so much their municipal bulbs could do. The ground, wet from the rain earlier, was not helping my mood.

Finally, the door swung open. It revealed a short woman, gaunt and pale wearing a tattered shawl. She looked up and down the street before bringing her eyes down and noticing me with a start.

"Nancy." I said.

"Emily!" the surprise was still evident in her voice.

"May I come in?"

"Of course." I could see she was still wondering why I was there. Her eyes were wider than usual and her brows were arched quizzically.

"Thanks. I just need to stay 'til the morning."

"What? Uh...alright." Nancy was still nonplussed. I trotted past her letting her stew in her befuddlement. I'd never had much use for her. She was nice enough, but not the quickest of wits.

"Is James home?" I asked.

"Yes, he's asleep upstairs." Nancy sounded a little wary as though I was going to ask her to go wake him up. If I'm honest, the thought crossed my mind. I decided it could wait until morning. Instead I said a quick goodnight to Nancy and installed myself near one of the front windows. I watched the street straining my eyes against the darkness, willing myself to see a little farther. Squinting into the night, I saw rounding the corner the two men from before. The one with the scarred face was in the lead and behind him, his face revealed for the first time, was the other man. His face was thin and unlined; young. A tuft of dark hair escaped from under his hat-brim and, though the collar of his raincoat was turned up, I could still see his piercing eyes and pointed nose clearly.

As the two men made their way slowly down the street, I watched. They looked this way and that and then turning towards #10...

To be continued...

Emily cogitates on the case:




No comments:

Post a Comment